Friday, February 11, 2011
Mod Mini Skirt Project: Neon Mod Flowers
Okay, yet another installment in the mod mini skirt project! Made, of course, with Simplicity 7699 from 1968.
This time I used a vintage spandex blend, probably a poly/spandex blend. The fabric was purchased on Etsy from the seller "iheartlace."
I love how the fabric features neon mod flowers but the colorfulness is tempered by the black background color. The flowers are in the very classic mod-shape that was popular at the time.
At some point during this mod mini skirt project, I did buy a new sewing machine. I just wasn't happy with the clunky operation of my machine and the fact that my machine came with so few bells and whistles. I ended up upgrading to the Janome Sewist 500, which is a mid-priced machine. The machine operates much smoother than my previous one and has some features my previous machine lacked. New features : thread cutter, stretch stitch, clear window so you can see when your top-loaded bobbin is running out, and even a stitch that emulates that of a serger. I haven't been courageous enough to try the serger stitch and a few other more complicated features, but I will soon.
All for now.