Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mod Mini Skirt Project: Black/White Circles & Squares

See how I gaze into the distance, wondering what the point is?

Since I've posted about the white shirt, now I'll post about the skirt that is pictured with it. This mini skirt was made with a fabric that I bought on eBay. It was advertised as a "poly/cotton" fabric and in my mind, anything that was blended with polyester should be okay. I waited about a month and when it finally arrived from Korea, I was disappointed with the quality. When I got the fabric, I was dismayed that this poly/cotton blend fabric was basically the equivalent of the 100% cotton quilter weight fabrics sold at Joann's. I'm probably wrong to think this, but I had assumed any quilter type cottons are 100% cotton and don't have any polyester in them.

I had been really looking forward to the fabric, and it was nothing like I imagined. I LOVED the print. Just LOVED it. And I had rubbed my hands together with glee, thinking about my final project.
Closeup of the print I fell in love with

So, when my expectations were violated, in a huff, I sewed the fabric into a mini-skirt. I tend to work sloppily when I'm in a huff. I become nihilistic and figure "what's the point if I screw up?" One of my sloppy errors? I accidentally cut into the skirt when I was pinking the seams. So, the skirt ended up with a tiny hole in it. At first my reaction was in the "whatever" category, since I was so annoyed with the fabric. Then, I shifted to sad at the end, because the skirt turned out a lot better than I thought.

I ended up cutting a square of fabric to make a patch and using fabric glue to cover the hole. Pretty raggedy solution, I know. I tried to sew on the patch, but it looked bad, because you could see the stitches. Oh well, the patch isn't noticeable, because the hole was tiny (restisting urge to make terrible joke... success!). Let's just hope the patch stays on in the wash!

My other commentary on the fabric? Well, when you've got a fabric with zero stretch, you've got to remember to adjust the fitting. I should have left a little more room to breath at the waist and the sides based on the lack of stretch, but I realized the problem too late, and I was afraid to rip out my stitching, because the fabric was such poor quality, I seriously didn't know if it could handle seam ripping. Oh well, this problem wasn't so bad in the end, because it does fit me. It's just a snug fit.

That's about all. I'd say that due to the unexpected fabric, this was my most snafu-filled skirt, by far. And it's wasn't such a tragedy.

Happy sewing!


  1. Mmm, the hassle of buying online...
    It is cute though. Shame about the hole. When I stuff up I often refer to the motto " turn a disadvantage into an advantage", so you could do something like cut out a Mary Quant daisy (or three) in black felt and applique it over the hole, or maybe you can think of something better!

  2. I wonder if there are any good tutorials on applique. I'll have to look. That's a cool idea!