Alteration Project- From Green Monster to Mini Dress
.BEFORE- Feeling like the Jolly Green Giant but less jolly (above)
I found this late 60's (or maybe early 70's) polyester maxi dress at a thrift store for $1.00. Sure it was long (not to mention very, very green), but I saw potential. All it really needed was to be hemmed. Okay, hemmed a lot. And cinched in a tad too. So, I ripped out the stitches with my bestie Mr. Seam Ripper, marked my new seam, and stitched away. Then, I got out my ruler and hacked off about 1/3 of the overall dress. Stitch...stitch...and VOILA!--a mini dress is born.
AFTER- feeling a lot more jolly and a lot less giant (above)
I'm pleased with the results and will happily wear this one come fall. It seems like the long green scarf thingy was supposed to be an ascot that ties on the front of the dress. It really weighed down the dress, though, not to mention strangled me. So, I swept it over my shoulders and think of it as a little cape. I also added a mod-style chain belt that I found at T.J. Maxx the other day. If anyone's interested, they're made by Rampage, and come in several different designs and metals. I like how it completes the look.