One of my main inspiration pictures-- I love the pop art quality that the arrow applique brings to the skirt-- also like that "circle" applique skirt in the background.
I had never attempted applique, but I really wanted to try it. I kept encountering pictures of mod dresses and skirts in which applique made the fashions look like pop art. Pictures of such fashions are included to illustrate my point.
More than once, I encountered skirts and dresses that had "arrows" appliqued onto them. I fell in love with the concept and was anxious to try my hand at making a dress or skirt with arrows appliqued for pop art effect.
Right away I recognized that if I was going to applique, I probably did not want a stretchy fabric. Something stable would be easier, because memories of trying to sew pockets on stretchy fabrics still haunt me. The shifting, my god, the shifting!
And right away, I realized that I wanted to start with something simple like a skirt. So, as much as I don't like the fabrics at Joann's, I picked up some black corduroy from them, because I knew that would be a good fabric for a skirt and stable due to its lack of stretchiness. I looked online initially, but I didn't see any vintage that caught my eye. Luckily, I do not regret my choice to buy from them. Their corduroy was not a problem. Apparently, they do some things right. On the other hand, I'm a total corduroy virgin, so I have nothing to compare it with.
What was easy? Sewing the felt onto the corduroy. I thought that things would somehow end up shifting on me, but my pins kept everything in place.
What was difficult? Well, proportion was a lot harder than I expected. To get "templates" for the felt arrows, I found clip art of arrows online and then sized them on my screen. I printed them out, cut them out, and then pinned them to the felt. I then cut the felt around the template edges to get the shape I wanted. I experimented quite a bit with arrow size, but now that I'm through with the project, I recognize that the proportions could have been better. Smaller arrows would have looked better, because the larger arrows tend to be a bit overwhelming on the skirt.
I'm happy to say, though, that I still like the result and that I did a follow-up project in green corduroy with white arrows that is better proportioned.
These last two pictures show the skirt with a black turtleneck shirt-- I personally prefer the white shirt look, because it balances the proportions. This one is interesting though because the black shirt and skirt combo makes it look like a dress.
Not bad for a first try, though!