Friday, March 25, 2011

Mod Mini Skirt Project: Green Diamonds, Gray Squares


Ironing... you are still my nemesis!
(ABOVE)



I love a good geometric print, especially large prints in which the shapes really stand out. One of the things I find very mod is argyle. Now, I haven't had luck finding a really cool argyle print to sew into a skirt. However, I do think diamond shapes are mod in general and have made a green diamond, gray square fabric into a mini-skirt. The fabric is a vintage polyester that was purchased on Etsy.


When I took these pictures, one of my rats named "Yoko" was looking at me from the cage. I ended up picking her up and taking one of the pictures with her. Sadly, little Yoko ended up dying within a few days of this picture being taken. It was really unexpected and very sad. I don't mean for this to be a depressing post-- it's just that I thought I should explain ahead of time.

R.I.P., little Yoko, we miss you.
(ABOVE)

Trying out the look high-waisted instead of drop-waisted.
Prefer drop-waisted, but both are cool.
(ABOVE)

This project was inspired by an argyle/green skirt and tights ensemble from a vintage "Seventeen Magazine" cover. Now, if I could match a shirt with coordinating tights, that would be very cool.

Love this look
(ABOVE)


I've been getting quite a few compliments on these as I roam about Atlanta. I find that to be very satisfying in a way that I never would feel if the items were store-bought. Sure, I put effort into styling myself when I wear store-bought clothes, and everybody appreciates a compliment whatever the context. It's just so much more fun when you receive a compliment and can reply that you made the item. It's also a great way to meet people and start a conversation. Although, the shy introvert that I am, I haven't tried to extend the conversation (yet).

Front
(ABOVE)

Back
(ABOVE)

Happy sewing,
Astrid

Fun mini-skirt pic from the era
(ABOVE)

4 comments:

  1. i love the print and colors of this skirt. and i really appreciate the vintage seventeen magazine cover photo and that last vintage photo is eye candy. i love all the colors. those sweaters, skirts, scarves, belts, textures tights, and feminine short hair styles (with barettes!)make me swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your terrific efforts! I have a lot of 60s patterns on my etsy site (mommablacksheep, if you would like to look) and many more that I haven't posted. Your apartment reminds me of the loft that my son lived in (A&P bakery in a former life, I think). He is back in ATL looking for an apt, and my daughter and son-in-law just moved into their first house in Decatur from the midtown ATL area. I bet you do get lots of positive reactions when you go out in your fab wardrobe! Good work on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marie: Awesome! Glad to hear you're enjoying all the mod mania that I've been posting : - )

    @MommaBlackSheep: You have some really cool patterns listed. I'll def. keep that in mind. At the moment, I'm on a pattern buying hiatus, because I'm speculating that I need to start buying 32 bust patterns instead of 34. But, I'm not 100% certain just yet.

    I love lofts and loft-living, because I enjoy the character that a loft brings (i.e. with the industrial look and the high ceilings). They're a lot of fun to photograph in as well. Good luck to you and your family and thanks for the compliments too : - )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your feet must be incredible.

    ReplyDelete