Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mod Mini Skirt Project: Cat's Eye Fabric

Just when you thought it was safe....another mod mini skirt! Did you really think the madness ended? Nope, it didn't. It just got supplemented by some dress projects (more of those to come soon).

When I find a great fabric in low yardage, there's not a whole lot to do with it, except make a skirt. Besides, a lot of prints don't translate as well into dresses. They may be "too much" (so to speak) and overwhelm my relatively short (5'4") stature.

So, I found this great vintage "cat's eye" (that's what it looks like to me) fabric in a low yardage on eBay and I had to have it. I'm not sure what the material is made of, but it's definitely not polyester. It's probably some sort of cotton blend-- it might have even been intended to be an upholstery fabric.

Whatever the case, it wasn't too stiff or scratchy. It could be done, and I did it. I made a skirt. Yep, big shocker! Ha ha!

Happy sewing and more to come soon!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mod Arrow Dress Project: Simplicity 8682 from 1969- NAVY BLUE

A source of inspiration--I believe this was
made by E.C. Star Clothing

So, after having the various snafus with the green arrow dress, I decided to go forth with a navy blue arrow dress. I had learned some important lessons with the green dress.

This time around, I used a vintage navy blue polyester that had little to no stretch, so I wouldn't have issues with the applique moving around on me. I also went a little simpler, just so I wouldn't rip out my hair coming up with a final design. I put two arrows facing each other, and I wrapped them around the dress so that they meet at each side of the zipper on the back . I positioned them at the drop waist area, as was popular in the mod era. I also used the same pattern as I used for the previous dress (Simplicity 8682 from 1969).

A source of inspiration-- from "thecarnabystreak.co.uk" (great designs on this site!)

I'm very happy with the results. The design is simple but fun, and it definitely pays tribute to the pop art movement. Having learned some valuable lessons, I will be doing another applique in the near future, for sure! Oh and obviously, I made the bottom a little more a-shaped this time for a better proportion.

Another source of inspiration-- saw this one on Etsy

Happy sewing!